Quilting is a tradition that has been in existence for hundreds of years and even now still has a popular following all over the world. If you are a beginner or an amateur quilter then you can find real support and advice from the more experienced quilters out there. There are various tips and habits that can help you to improve your quilting skills including;
- Equipment – Make sure you have the right equipment that you need to do the job. Quilting is not a hobby where you can cut corners as it will show in the quality of your work.
- Practice – Ensure that you spend time practicing each part of quilting as it will take time for you to master the skills.
- Classes – If you feel you cannot improve without help then look into attending a quilting class to improve your skills.
- Rotary Cutter – If your cutting skills are not good then this will show in your work. Buy yourself a rotary cutter as this will help you to have perfectly cut material sections which will improve the quality of your quilt.
- Fatigue – Quilting can be intense due to the amount of focus required and it can also be repetitive causing your body strains. To improve the quality of your quilting, make sure you take regular breaks from your quilting.
- Tools – There is no shame in buying yourself quilting tools to help make things easier and less time consuming.
- Sewing Machine – Buy yourself a sewing machine that can do all you need it to and learn how to use each setting but ensure you look after your machine and this will keep the standard of your quilts high.
- Patience – Patience is crucial in quilting, you are not going to complete your quilt in an hour! Don’t be tempted to cut corners to speed things up. Do not be tempted to pull your quilt through when it is in the machine because this will affect the stitching quality.
- Shows and Exhibitions – Visit any quilting shows or exhibitions that you can as these can be great for picking up new patterns, supplies, tips and habits for improving your quilting skills.
- Fear – Don’t let the fear of the unknown put you off. Learning new techniques and styles will only help to improve your own quilting technique.
Above all, quilting should be a fun and enjoyable pastime and hobby. There are some amazing websites and online stores out there where you can purchase all you need to get started.